Cold War Seminar: Devil’s Advocate
I. Harry Truman
A. Which of your policies do you feel helped to end the Cold War?
1. Would have felt that his policy of containment was successful in containing the communists to certain parts of Eastern Europe and therefore not allowing communism to outgrow democracy.
2. Marshall Plan helped to give aid to governments so that they do not become communistic.
3. North Atlantic Treaty committed the US to defend Western European countries from communism.
II. Dwight D. Eisenhower
A. Did your actions set the stage for an easy to reach and maintain peace?
1. I created a good relationship between the Presidential position and the people of other countries by regularly flying internationally with my plane the Air Force One.
2. Planned a peace conference with Russia, but a week before it was scheduled the Soviets shot down a U2 plane flying over one of their army bases which gave Kruschev an excuse to cancel the conference. “Biggest disappointment of my life”
III. Allen Dulles
IV. Sergei Khruschev
V. Ronal Reagan
VI. Mikhail Gorbachev